The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

Listed below are "Notable Historic Places" located in Rockland County:


Old '76 House
110 Main Street
Tappan, NY 10983
(845) 359-5476

(1753) The '76 House is famed for serving as British spy Major John Andre's prison for five days during his trial in 1780.

Bear Mountain Inn
55 Hessian Drive
Bear Mountain, NY 10911
(845) 786-2731

(1915) The rough uncovered trap rock masonry and log timber framing characterize the rustic and rough terrain of the 70,000 acre park. The Bear Mountain Museum and Zoo are nearby.



Bear Mountain Bridge and Tollhouse
P.I.P. and Rte. 9W
Fort Montgomery, NY 10922
(845) 446-4721

(1924) With a clear span of 1,632 feet it was one of the longest suspension bridges in the nation in its day. Built by the Harriman family, it was purchased in 1940 by the Park for $2.275 million.

Rockland County Courthouse
1 South Main Street
New City, NY 10956
(845) 483-8310

(1928) The third courthouse to stand on this site, it is made of Indiana limestone in the Art Deco style of the period and is elaborately decorated.



The Dewint House
Livingston St. & Oak Tree Rd.
Tappan, NY 10983
(845) 359-1359

(1700) John DeWint, a wealthy West Indian planter, acquired the house in 1747. During the Revolution it served as Washington's Headquarters (1780 – 83) on five occasions, most notably during British spy Major John Andre's trial and hanging.

English Church Schoolhouse
108 Old Schoolhouse Rd.
Pomona, NY 10970
(845) 354-8101

 (1867) Students were originally taught in a log schoolhouse that may have served as the Church's first place of worship. It is currently the village hall for New Hempstead. Enlarged in 1896.



Haddock's Hall
300 Ferdon Ave.
Piermont, NY 10968

(1875) Designed for use as a store and with a public hall and a library on the second floor, the building is in the new-Greco style, rare outside of New York City. It is also known as the silk mill for the silk ribbon woven here in the 20th Century.

Jacob Blauvelt House
20 Zukor Road
New City, NY 10956
(845) 634-9629

(1832) Brick farmhouse with gambrel roof built by Jacob J. Blauvelt. It reflects the Blauvelts' Dutch heritage. Now a Historical Society of Rockland County museum.



King's Daughter Public Library
85 Main Street
Haverstraw, NY 10927
(845) 429-3445

(1903) Efforts of the Haverstraw Ladies Home Mission Circle (1891) and Fowler family's generous ten thousand dollar donation, brought about this charming Classical Revival structure.

The Manse
32 Old Tappan Rd.
Tappan, NY 10983
(845) 359-1330

(1730-1797) The Manse, the parsonage of the Tappan Reformed Church (its single owner), received its gambrel roof during substantial reconstruction in 1797 and its north wing in 1835.



New Hempstead Presbyterian Church
484 New Hempstead Road
New City, NY 10956
(845) 354-2372

(1734) The building is the second oldest extant church in the county. In 1863 a school was built on nearby property and used by the local school district; it later became the oldest continuously-used public school building in the county.

Old Stone Church
347 North Broadway
Upper Nyack, NY 10960

(1813) Rockland's oldest existing church building and forerunner of St. Paul's Methodist Church, South Nyack.
The congregation has been non-denominational since the early 1900s.



Sloat House
NY Rte. 17 and Sterling Ave.
Sloatsburg, NY 10974

(1755) Home of the prominent Sloat family. The house served as an important meeting place and tavern before and after the Revolution.

Stony Point Lighthouse
44 Battlefield Road
Stony Point, NY 10980
(845) 786-2521

(1825) Set on a 150-foot promontory overlooking the Hudson, the octagonal masonry tower rises another 20 feet above the water. Though decommissioned in the 1920's, its Fresnel-lensed lamp has been lovingly restored.



Upper Nyack Firehouse
330 North Broadway
Upper Nyack, NY 10960

(1887) Built in exuberant Queen Anne style, with characteristic decorative brick details, the firehouse retains an operable antique bell-ringing system. It also has its original weathervane goose, historic symbol of the village, colloquially known as Goosetown.

Yonder Hill Dwellers
1 Closter Road
Palisades, NY 10964

(1859) A spacious Greek Revival building with Italian Revival details, this was originally a Methodist Episcopal church. Deconsecrated in the 1920s it is now an antique shop.