WIC is a supplemental food and nutrition program to help pregnant women and families with young children. WIC provides nutrition education, nutritious foods, and breastfeeding support and information. It is a short-term program designed to help families build healthy eating and living habits that will last a lifetime. WIC participants have longer, healthier pregnancies and fewer premature births.
Who is WIC for?
WIC is for pregnant women (or teens), children up to 5 years old, mothers of babies up to 6 months old, and breastfeeding mothers of babies up to 12 months old.
What do I get?
You get checks to buy nutritious foods such as milk, cheese, eggs, cereal, fruit, vegetables, fruit juice, whole grain bread, whole grain tortillas or brown rice, peanut butter, dried beans or canned beans, infant formula, infant cereal, and baby food. You will learn how to choose healthy foods and how to fix healthy meals, and get support and help with breastfeeding. You will get referrals to other services you may need such as prenatal and postpartum care, well baby and child care, Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), Food Stamps, substance abuse treatment, and family planning.
Am I eligible?
You are income eligible for WIC if you receive Medicaid, Food Stamps or Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), or if you meet the current income guidelines.
You must be a New York State resident. Families who meet income guidelines will be assessed by a health care professional for medical or nutritional risks.
How can I get WIC?
Call (845) 364-2577 for an appointment and more information, or call one of the WIC offices below:
- Monsey WIC - (845) 426-6351 - 23 Robert Pitt Drive, Suite 103, Monsey - Monday to Friday
- Spring Valley WIC - (845) 426-0971 English or (845) 426-0972 Spanish - 14 South Main Street, Spring Valley - Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
- Haverstraw WIC - (845) 429-5525 - 26 New Main Street, Haverstraw - Wednesdays and Thursdays
- New Square WIC - (845) 364-3329 - 9 Jackson Avenue, New Square - Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Nyack WIC - (845) 353-6037 - 58 DePew Avenue, Nyack - Mondays
Where can I get more information about the WIC Program?