Support & Encouragement
We provide the following free breastfeeding services for pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers:
- Breastfeeding counseling in person or over the phone
- Breastfeeding information
- Support and referral
- Help with challenges: milk supply concerns, positioning and latching on, engorgement, nipple or breast soreness, how to nurse in public, breastfeeding twins or more, and returning to work and school
- Classes, presentations and support groups
- Resource materials
- Guidance for employers on establishing a worksite lactation (breastfeeding) program
- Assistance with becoming a breastfeeding friendly pediatric or OB practice or daycare facility
- Hospital grade pump rentals
To download our brochure click here.
Breastfeeding is a rewarding experience that benefits both mother and baby:
- Breast milk is FREE! Formula is very expensive!
- Infants who are fed only breast milk for the first six months of life are less likely to develop colds, flu, diarrhea and ear infections.
- Breast milk is convenient and easy: always the right temperature and ready when your baby is hungry.
- Breastfeeding helps you lose weight gained during pregnancy and reduces the risk of breast and ovarian cancer.
- Creates a great bonding experience between you and your baby.
- Saves on health care costs because breastfed babies get sick less often.
- Leads to fewer work and school days missed due to a sick infant, toddler or child.
- Is good for the environment: no bottles to wash or formula cans to throw away.
Designated Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care Centers in Rockland County
(Please check the New York State Office of Children and Family Services website for information about the licensing/violation status of these centers.)
- Rockland Worksite Day Care
50 Sanatorium Road, Pomona, New York 10970
Childcare Professionals: Take steps to make YOUR facility Breastfeeding Friendy!
Visit Child Care Resources of Rockland for more information about child care programs and referral services in Rockland County.
Pediatricians/Obstetricians: Take steps to make YOUR practice Breastfeeding Friendly!
- Letter of Introduction: NYS Breastfeeding Friendly Practices Designation
- NYS Ten Steps to a Successful Breastfeeding Friendly Practice Handout
- NYS Ten Steps to a Breastfeeding Friendly Practice Implementation Guide
- NYS Breastfeeding Friendly Practice Designation Assessment Survey (Fillable Survey)
For More Information on Breastfeeding:
- New York State Department of Health WIC (Women, Infants, Children) Program
- New York State Department of Health Breastfeeding Promotion Program
- Breastfeeding Partners
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Division (CDC)
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office on Women's Health
- The Breastfeeding Mothers Bill of Rights
- Breastfeeding State Laws
For Health Care Professionals: