Lost or Stolen U.S. Passports

Report your passport lost or stolen immediately to protect yourself from identity theft. You can replace it now or later - it's up to you! Once you report a passport lost or stolen, it is invalid and cannot be used for international travel. See how to report a lost or stolen passport below.

To replace a lost or stolen passport, you must submit Form DS-11 in person.

Please choose from the following options:

You are in the United States and are traveling in 2 weeks or less
Make an appointment to apply in person at a passport agency or center to replace your passport. (Based on need, some restrictions apply.)
You are in the United States and are not traveling within 2 weeks
Make an appointment (if required) to apply at an authorized passport acceptance facility to replace your passport.
You are outside the United States
Contact your nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to replace your passport. Also, please see the DOS Frequently Asked Questions.

How to Report a Lost or Stolen Passport

How to Report your Lost or Stolen Passport

Report your passport lost or stolen by using one of the 3 options below:

Click on the button below, and navigate to the "Report Lost or Stolen" tab.

  Complete Online & Print
Call us toll-free at 1-877-487-2778 (TTY 1-888-874-7793).

Complete, sign, and mail Form DS-64 to the address on the form.


For a complete list of forms please see our Forms page