FEMA Information
Deadline to Apply for FEMA Assistance and SBA Loans Extended to Saturday, April 13. - 03/26/2013 10:30 AM

Rockland residents and businesses affected by Hurricane Sandy now have until Saturday, April 13 2013 to apply for FEMA assistance and SBA loans.

Visit the Assistance Page for details.

Federal Assistance

At the Federal level, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) oversees and implements several disaster recovery programs once it receives authorization in the form of a declaration.

Rockland County has been added to the Major Disaster declaration for New York State.  This action makes Federal assistance funding available to help those affected in Rockland. Assistance can include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses, and other programs to help individuals, business owners and not-for-profits recover from the effects of the disaster.

How To Get Assistance

  1. Before anyone can be considered for any kind of FEMA assistance, they must first file a claim with their own insurance company if you have a plan. Some tips on what one can expect and should prepare before contacting their insurance company has been prepared by Consumer Reports. Please note that failing to file a claim with your insurance company may delay or affect your FEMA eligibility for disaster-related assistance. 

  2. Then, they should register with FEMA. Those impacted by the storm can register online or by telephone.


You may choose to register using a web enabled mobile device at  or online at disasterassistance.gov


Those who sustained losses in Rockland may also choose to register by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). Disaster assistance applicants, who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY, should call 1-800-462-7585 directly; for those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362.

Those seeking assistance should be prepared to provide the following information when visiting the center or registering using the online or telephone service:

  • The address of damaged home or apartment
  • Name of people living in your household
  • A description of your disaster damages
  • Insurance information
  • Your Social Security Number
  • A telephone number where they can reach you or leave a message
  • An address where you can receive mail
  • If you want your disaster assistance funds sent directly to your bank, you will need to provide:
    • bank account type
    • account number
    • routing number

What happens After I Register With FEMA

After you register with FEMA, an inspector will make a site visit to collect additional information and verify the accuracy of the information shared with them during the registration process. The inspectors, who are FEMA contractors carry identification badges and do not make a determination regarding assistance nor will they charge you for the site visit. 

Learn more about what to expect at a site visit.

After a site visit is conducted, a determination will be made and the applicant will receive a letter from FEMA. Some will also receive an application for a low-interest disaster recovery loan from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). Those who receive an application packet from the SBA should complete and submit the forms. No one is required to accept a loan but submitting the application may open the door to additional FEMA grants.

Anyone who has questions about the letter from FEMA should call the helpline (800-621-3362 or TTY, 800-462-7585).

To learn more about the specific kind of assistance that maybe available, please visit the FEMA website.

Small Business Administration (SBA) Assistance

Disaster home and business loans are available to repair disaster damaged real estate and replace damaged contents.  Economic Injury Disaster Loans are available for small businesses, small agricultural cooperatives, small businesses engaged in aquaculture and most private non-profit organizations of all sizes having difficulties meeting operating expenses because of the disaster. 

The U.S. Small Business Administration's electronic loan application (ELA) is the speedy, user-friendly way for homeowners, renters and businesses to apply for a disaster loan for Hurricane Sandy damages sustained. The online program checks for errors, prompts for more information when needed and provides a quicker decision than the hand-written applications.  Visit us online to apply.

New York State Assistance

If you have lost your job or income due to Hurricane Sandy, please call the Department of Labor Telephone Claims Center (TCC) at 1-888-209-8124 or visit their website to file a claim.

A Guide to Disaster Assistance and Relief Funding