Learn about various volunteer opportunities available through the Rockland County Office for the Aging and related agencies:
- HIICAP (Health Information, Counseling & Assistance program)
- Chore Service
- Foster Grandparent Program
- RSVP (Retired Senior Volunteer Program)
Rockland County's Health Insurance Information, Counseling and Assistance Program (HIICAP) provides information, education and counseling about Medicare and other health insurances. Volunteers receive training under the auspices of the State Health Insurance Counseling Program.
If you are interested in becoming a HIICAP Volunteer and possess the following:
- Willingness to learn about and ability to retain information relevant to health insurance provisions and claims filing procedures
- Computer literacy
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to get along with others
- Sensitive and caring attitude
Contact Donna Gloc, HIICAP Coordinator, at 845-364-2118.
Chore Service 845-215-1010
The Chore Service needs volunteers to help Rockland County senior citizens and people with disabilities remain safe and secure in their homes. If you are available during the week and can perform minor household repairs, such as:
- fixing leaking faucets and toilets
- replacing light bulbs
- replacing smoke detector batteries
- installing grab bars
- replacing switches, light fixtures and plugs on lamps
- putting plastic on windows
- weather stripping
- hanging pictures
You can help! We have a van and tools. Please volunteer your time, skills and talents, and enjoy the company of other handy volunteers.
To volunteer, call Tom Ternquist, Chore Service Director at 845-215-1010.
(RSVP) Retired & Senior Volunteer Program 845-356-6818
If you are over 55, planning the next phase of your life and you believe the joy and fulfillment of volunteering could play a part - RSVP will help you.
RSVP offers these benefits:
- Assignments that coincide with your special interests.
- Transportation to and from your volunteer station (whenever possible).
- Lunch when possible.
- Supplemental insurance (auto and liability).
- A rewarding way to spend part of your time.
- Invitations to free seminars.
- Reimbursement for travel.
- The most effective placement at over 150 sites!
Retired and Senior Volunteer Program of Rockland County is sponsored by Rockland Community College.
Call 845-356-6818 today for an appointment. Our experienced professionals assure you a perfect match!
- read with a child
- play games
- develop a one-to-one relationship
- enhance a child's self esteem
Benefits you receive:
- a modest, tax-free stipend
- monthly training
- paid sick and vacation days
- meals provided during service
- assistance with transportation to school site
If you are 55 or older, meet income eligibility, want to work between 15-40 hours per week and receive a stipend plus other benefits, contact Head Start of Rockland, Inc. at 845-353-2835.