Learn more about becoming a volunteer for HIICAP!
Health Insurance Information, Counseling, and Assistance Program (HIICAP)
HIICAP is a federally funded program from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
It is administered by the New York State Office for the Aging and locally through the Rockland County Office for the Aging.
HIICAP provides you and your loved ones with information, education and counseling about Medicare and other health insurances. Trained staff and volunteers will answer your questions.
HIICAP can help you:
- understand the Medicare prescription drug benefit (Medicare Part D) and how to select the best plan
- choose between original Medicare and Medicare Advantage Plans, including Medicare HMOs, Medicare PPOs and Medicare Special Needs Plans
- understand and apply for EPIC (Elderly Pharmaceutical Insurance Coverage)
- understand "Extra Help", a low income subsidy offered by the Social Security Administration
- report possible Medicare fraud or abuse
- understand Medicare rules and your medical bills
- appeal a decision by Medicare, your managed care provider or other health insurance company
- discover ways to fill in Medicare's gaps
- learn about prevention and screening coverage that keeps you healthy and helps detect issues early
The services provided by HIICAP are both free and unbiased.
For more information please visit the the links below:
Current information on Medicare, Medicare Advantage Plans and Medicare-approved prescription drug plans.
A not-for-profit educational and advocacy organization devoted to ensuring that seniors and people with disabilities on Medicare have access to quality and affordable health care.
Personal tool for financial, health, prescription and other savings programs.
Social Security Administration
Elderly Pharmaceutical Insurance Coverage