The Department of Social Services is limiting the number of non-staff personnel on-site due to COVID-19 restrictions. Please consider utilizing to apply for your benefits. Each program has an email and phone number set-up for you to send a message or call directly to the work unit you would like to contact.  Below you will find the emails and contact numbers for each of our programs.

Eligibility Programs

Child Care Subsidy - 845-364-3797 or e-mail 
Medical Assistance - 845-364-3040 or e-mail 
Employment - 845-364-3143 or e-mail 
SNAP - 845-364-3032 or e-mail 
Energy Assistance Program HEAP - 845-364-3480 or e-mail 
Temporary Assistance - 845-364-3032 or e-mail 

The Department of Social Services offers a wide range of programs and services to families and individuals to assist them in meeting their basic needs for food, clothing, shelter and medical care.  Services are also provided to individuals to assist them in preparing for, obtaining and maintaining employment.

On March 9, 2021, the USDHS vacated the August 2019 “Inadmissibility on Public Charge Grounds” final rule. As a result, the 1999 interim field guidance on the public charge inadmissibility provision (i.e., the policy that was in place before the final rule) is now in effect. Therefore, for some non-citizens, their receipt of Temporary Assistance (TA) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) may be considered when evaluating whether they are likely to become a public charge, which may make them ineligible for admission to the United States or prevent them from adjusting their immigration status/becoming a lawful permanent resident (LPR). The receipt of Medicaid (MA) (except for long-term institutionalization at the government’s expense) and SNAP by non-citizens are no longer being considered as part of the public charge inadmissibility determination.

SNAP Public Charge Outreach Poster - English
SNAP Public Charge Outreach Poster - Spanish


Notice to All Recipients of
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
 (En Espanol)


Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA) will automatically issue an Emergency supplemental SNAP benefit to households not already receiving the maximum benefit. This action is part of a provision set forth by the Families First Corona Virus Response Act of 2020. Households currently not receiving the maximum benefit will receive the Emergency supplemental SNAP benefit to increase their current benefit amount to the maximum amount for their household size. New York State OTDA will issue the Emergency supplemental benefits to all SNAP households NOT already receiving the maximum benefit for the month of July 2020 through February 2021.

Households who already received  the maximum benefit amount for their household size in July 2020 through February 2021 are not eligible for this supplement.

SNAP Benefit Increase

From January through June 2021, the maximum SNAP benefit will be increased by 15%.

Note: the SNAP Minimum allotment will also increase – from $16 to $19


The January increases will be issued as supplements, and they will occur at the same time as the usual January COVID Supplements up to the max. Starting with the end of January, NYS will adjust all budgets from February to June to the new additional 15% of the SNAP benefit.

State will not send notices to clients.


The Maximum benefit increases will be as follows:

HH Size


Eff 1/1/2021

























Each Additional Person



HH Size

Amount of additional 15% Increase

















Each Additional Person

$184  PLUS $23 per person

Eligible Cases: SNAP cases that received benefits in July 2020 through February 2021 and did not receive the maximum benefit amount for their householdsize, will receive the supplemental SNAP benefit. 

Supplements will be automatically issued and available on your EBT card. You do NOT have to apply for or contact your local office about these supplements.

Note: This is a one-time payment.  Recipients will receive their regular SNAP benefit amount beginning in August.  There is no right to a fair hearing for those receiving their regular benefit in August that is less than the maximum  benefit solely because they are no longer receiving the supplemental allotment. 

IMPORTANT:  Your family will receive temporary P-EBT food benefits to help with the cost of your child’s daytime meals.


Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and resulting school closures, your child or children will receive P-EBT food benefits to help cover the cost of free meals they otherwise would eat at school.

You do not have to apply for these benefits.  You have a child or children in your household who are eligible for free or reduced-price lunch at their school.  Because they are not in school right now, you automatically will receive P-EBT food benefits to help buy food for them.


What Happens Next?

Because people in your household receive Medicaid, the P-EBT food benefits for any eligible children in your household will be issued either to your Medicaid Common Benefit Identification Card (CBIC) or, if you do not have one, to the CBIC of the oldest child in your household who receives Medicaid and free or reduced-price school lunches.


To access your P-EBT food Benefits you will need to select a Personal Identification Number (PIN) over the phone by calling the following toll-free number: 1-888-328-6399. Please be prepared to provide the security information required to complete this process.


If you do not have the CBIC you used for Medicaid, please call the 1-833-452-0096 to request a replacement.


How much will my family get?

The maximum monthly amounts you may receive for each eligible child in your household are:


                                     March $68.00                             May $119.00

                                     April $125.00                              June $108.00


So, $420 is the maximum amount of P-EBT food benefits that one child could receive for the entire March through June period.


What do I need to know about using my child/children’s P-EBT food benefits?

  • You may create an account to check your family’s P-EBT food benefits balance by visiting  Once you create an account, you can also check your P-EBT food benefits balance by calling 1-888-328-6399.
  • You may use your P-EBT food benefits to purchase allowable food items from authorized retail stores.  A detailed list of food items that may be purchased with the benefits can be found at
  • There are no fees for using your P-EBT benefits, and there is no limit to the number of times you can use your card to spend your P-EBT food benefits.
  • P-EBT food benefits will remain available and accessible on your Medicaid CBIC for up to one year from the date they are issued.



If you have questions about your P-EBT food benefits, send an email to


NYDocSubmit Mobile App

Rockland County now has a new, free mobile application (app) available to county residents that enables them to submit necessary documents. Visit page for more information on NYDocSubmit.

Eligibility Programs

Non-Parent Caregivers (grandparents, other relatives, friends) who are caring for children living in their home without their parent, may be eligible for social service benefits including Temporary Assistance and Medical Assistance (Medicaid). See more information:

Child Care Subsidy

Contact the Child Care Subsidy Unit at (845) 364-3797 or Email: .

The Child Care Subsidy Unit is committed to

  • Establishing and renewing eligible families receiving Temporary Assistance so they can participate in employment and employment activities
  • Working parents who have succeeded in leaving welfare
  • Working families with incomes below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level
  • Teenage parents in order to help them finish high school
  • Families who need help to prevent a child's out-of-home placement
  • Effective August 19th, 2020, school aged children are now eligible to receive childcare during school hours if they are attending a childcare program and participate in remote learning.

Back to Top


Contact the Employment Unit at (845) 364-3143 or Email: .

Temporary Assistance applicants and recipients must participate in work activities assigned by the Employment Unit.  These work-related activities are intended to lead applicants and recipients to employment opportunities that will return them to self-sufficiency.

A partial list of work activities includes, but is not limited to:

  • Employment - both subsidized and unsubsidized
  • Job search and job readiness training
  • Work experience
  • On-the-job training
  • Community service
  • Vocational education

Please view the Employment Services Fact Sheet for more information.
SNAP Recipients are also subject to work requirements.  To get more info see the SNAP Employment Services Work Requirements Fact Sheet.

Every two years the Rockland County Department of Social Services must submit to the NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance its Biennial Temporary Assistance and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Employment Plan. This plan describes the county's employment services program for applicants and recipients of TA and SNAP benefits. The 2022-2023 Biennial Temporary Assistance and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Employment Plan is now available for public review. All comments should be emailed to the Rockland County DSS Employment Unit at 

The plan will be available for review and comment for 30 days from 11/8/21.

TA/SNAP Employment Plan.


Back to Top

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

Contact the SNAP Unit at (845) 364-3032 or Email: 

Click here  to view information on the Pandemic-EBT Benefits (P-EBT) for school age children.
Click here to view information on the Schools Breakfast - Lunch Programs

Click here to view information on the Feeding Programs

Serves as the first line of defense against hunger.  Applicants can apply online or contact the DSS Eligibility Call Center at 845-364-3032 if a personal interview is desired.

Applicants can also visit one of the following agencies that have community computers and staff who will assist with SNAP applications:

  • HACSO, 24 West Street, Spring Valley, 845-352-5897
  • People to People, 121 W. Nyack Road, Nanuet, 845-623-4900
  • Village of Kaser, 15 Elyon Road, Monsey, 845-352-2932
  • WestCOP at Rockland Community Action Program, 17 W. Broad Street, Haverstraw, 845-553-9118

For general information on SNAP, visit the US Department of Agriculture website.

Click here to view information on the SNAP Fact Sheet

SNAP benefits are issued through an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) Card. Please see instructions on how to use your card to get SNAP.

If you find you need additional food throughout the month to feed your family, there are many local Food Pantries and Soup Kitchens; click here for a complete listing: Rockland Community Against Hunger. It is recommended that you contact the pantries/kitchens to confirm days and hours of operation. 

Eat Smart NY provides workshops on numerous food-related topics, including: nutrition/food safety education, assistance with family financial management, help with dietary planning and food shopping for low income individuals and families. Contact Cornell Cooperative Extension of Rockland County at 845-429-7085 or log on to their website,, for additional details. 

See our listing of Farmer's Markets for locations in Rockland. Most markets accept FMNP (coupons for income-eligible seniors and WIC recipients) and some accept SNAP.

Visit U.S. Department of Agriculture to find out how to file a SNAP discrimination complaint.

Click below to view the Nondiscrimination Statements in English and Spanish.



Summer Food Service Program:

The NYS Education Department offers low-income children 18 years of age and younger, as well as disabled young adults over age 18 enrolled in school programs for persons with disabilities, to receive free, nutritious meals during the summer months when schools are not in session. Call 1-800-522-5006 or visit for a location near you.

Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)

Contact the HEAP Unit at (845) 364-3480 or Email: .

HEAP is a Federally-funded energy program that assists low-income individuals and families in meeting their immediate home energy needs. HEAP season runs from November 2019-September 2020. If you qualify, HEAP may be able to help you if your source of heat is: Natural Gas, Propane, Oil, Electricity, Wood/Wood Pellets, Kerosene, Coal or Corn.

HEAP is comprised of the following components:

1. REGULAR HEAP (November 2, 2020 - August 31, 2021)

You may be eligible for a regular HEAP benefit if your household's gross monthly income is at or below the current income guidelines for your household size and meet all other non-financial requirements. The benefit amounts will vary depending on your household income, fuel type, and if a vulnerable member (Disabled, Child under the age of 6, or an individual age 60 years or older) is in your household. You may be eligible for a regular benefit even if you have money in the bank, stocks, bonds or other resources.

How to apply:

  • Apply online via
  • In person at Rockland County Department of Social services HEAP Unit, 50 Sanatorium Rd. Bldg. L, Pomona NY 10970
  • By Mail to the address above.
  • By Phone.  Call HEAP Unit at 845-364-3480 or 845-364-3485
  • Call the HEAP Unit at 845-364-3480 or 845-364-3335 if you need to schedule an interview

NOTE: If you received a HEAP benefit in the 2019-2020 season, no interview is required.

2. EMERGENCY HEAP  (January 4, 2021 - August 31, 2021)

You may be eligible for a HEAP Emergency Benefit if your gross household monthly income is at or below the current income guidelines, you do not have available liquid resources greater than $2,000 or $3,000 if the household contains an individual age 60 or older, and meet all other non-financial requirements.  

You must also be in an emergency situation as defined below:

  • Your natural gas or electric service for heat or heat-related electric service is terminated or scheduled for termination;
  • You have less than ¼ tank of oil, kerosene or propane;
  • You have less than a ten-day supply of any other deliverable fuel source.

If you received a Regular HEAP benefit for the 2020-2021 season and meet the customer of record requirements, you are permitted to apply for Emergency benefits by phone.

  • You can fax your termination notice to 845-364-3130 or email  
  • Include a case number and a telephone number. You will be contacted for a phone interview. 

You may not apply online for emergency benefits.

3. HEATING EQUIPMENT REPAIR & REPLACEMENT [HERR]  (October 1, 2020 - September 30, 2021 or until available funds are exhausted)

HERR is a benefit available to assist homeowners in repairing or replacing primary heating equipment when the equipment is inoperable or unsafe and is in need of repair/replacement. The applicant for the HERR component must be the homeowner. Your household's gross monthly income is at or below the current income guidelines for your household size, not have available resources over $3,000 and meet all other non-financial requirements.

You may not apply online.  

You must submit the application in person at: Rockland County Dept of Social Services, HEAP Unit, 50 Sanatorium Rd. Bldg. L, Pomona NY 10970.

4. HEAP COOLING ASSISTANCE (May 1, 2021 - August 31, 2021 or until available funds are exhausted)

Cooling Assistance is a benefit available to assist with the purchase and installation of air conditioners and fans for HEAP eligible households. Household must have at least one individual with a documented medical condition that is exacerbated by extreme heat. In addition, the household's gross monthly income must be at or below the current income guidelines for the household size and meet all other non-financial requirements.

You may not apply online.

Application must be submitted in person at: Rockland County Dept of Social Services, HEAP Unit, 50 Sanatorium Rd. Bldg. L, Pomona NY 10970.

However, if you received a Regular HEAP benefit during the 2018-2019 season, you are not required to have an interview. 

5. HEAP CLEAN & TUNE (October 1, 2020 – September 30, 2021 or until available funds are exhausted)

Clean & Tune assistance is a benefit available to HEAP eligible homeowners to have their primary heating system cleaned and tuned by a Department of Social Services Heating Equipment Replace & Repair Vendor. The Heating System must be at least 12 months old and not have been cleaned within the last 12 months. If you received Regular HEAP during the past HEAP season, attest that your household income has not increased by more than $200/month and no change in your household composition, you can apply by completing a one-page application. You may not apply online.

6. LOW INCOME HOUSEHOLD WATER ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (December 1, 2021 – until funds are exhausted)

The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) can help pay overdue water and wastewater bills. Applications can be submitted online or by mail beginning December 1.

LIHWAP is a drinking water and wastewater emergency assistance program funded with $69.8 million through the federal Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021 and the American Rescue Plan of 2021. Benefits are based on the amount of unpaid water and wastewater bills owed by applicants and could go as high as $2,500 for each service. This assistance is targeted at low-income households, particularly those who pay a high proportion of their income for drinking water and wastewater services, and income guidelines will mirror that of the Home Energy Assistance Program.

LIHWAP benefits are based on the actual amount of drinking water and/or wastewater arrears, up to a maximum of $2,500 per drinking water or wastewater provider, or $5,000 if drinking water and wastewater services are combined, per household. Benefits are paid directly to the household's drinking water and/or wastewater vendor(s).

A list of documents that are needed to apply can be found here: LIHWAP Document Checklist

For more information and to apply, visit Online applications can be submitted 24 hours/day, 7 days/week or you can apply by printing a LIHWAP Application and mail or fax it to:

PO Box 1789
Albany, NY 12201
Fax: (518) 486-1259


Contact the Housing Unit at (845) 364-3150 or Email: .

Housing staff offers comprehensive services to those families and individuals potentially facing homelessness.  The goal is to address and ultimately eliminate the crisis or urgent circumstances surrounding the homeless individual or family. When an emergency housing placement is diverted, these cases are retained until issues such as domestic violence, substance abuse, lack of employment, mental health, and childcare are addressed. Casework counseling and referral to needed services are provided on an ongoing basis.

Housing is notified of all eviction notices, utility disconnects and residential Health Department violations. Staff meets with individuals and family members in an attempt to help them retain safe and affordable housing. In many instances, home visits are conducted to insure that frail, elderly and minor children's health and safety needs are met. Emphasis is placed on maintaining family stability and in protecting the health and safety of all individuals at risk.

Housing staff also communicates with attorneys and landlords to prevent impending evictions. Staff negotiates payments of rent arrears, seeks out rent subsidies, explores housing alternatives, and secures permanent housing for the homeless.    

Emergency Housing Vouchers

Emergency housing vouchers are a federal subsidy program that helps qualified, low-income and
homeless tenants pay rent.

EHV guide for owners and landlords 

The main contact number for EHV is (845) 364-3792.

Back to Top

Medical Assistance

Contact the Medicaid Unit at (845) 364-3040 or Email: .

The local Rockland County Department of Social Services' Medicaid Unit processes Medicaid applications for residents who are:

  • Medicare recipients.
  • 65 years old or older who are not caretakers for children under 18 years of age.
  • Looking for assistance with the cost of Home Care, Assisted Living Facility or Nursing Home Care.
  • Disabled adults and children eligible for the Excess Income Program.
  • Disabled adults and children applying for specialized waiver programs.
  • Eligible for help paying for Medicare premiums and/or co-pays through the Medicare Savings Program.

All other persons looking for medical insurance must apply for health insurance (including public health insurance programs like Medicaid and Child Health Plus) through the New York State of Health.

How do I apply for Medicaid?

Those meeting the criteria listed above for local processing may drop off a completed application, supplement A and supporting documents at the Rockland County Department of Social Services, Building L, 50 Sanatorium Road, Pomona, New York 10970 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. or apply in person at Building L any Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday morning between 8:00 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.  Individuals may also mail in their application, supplemental A and supporting documents to the Department of Social Services at the above address, attention Medicaid Unit. 

Applicants who are applying through the New York State of Health have 3 options:

  • Apply online at
  • Call the New York State of Health at 1-855-355-5777, Monday – Friday between 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. and Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.  Customer Service Representatives can take over-the-phone applications.
  • Check the website for contact information for in-person assistance provided by Navigators and Certified Application Counselors located throughout the community.

What do I do if I have to apply for expedited Personal Care Services/Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Services? 

Please see our Informational Notice and Attestation Form  for more details.


Back to Top

Temporary Assistance

Contact the Temporary Assistance Unit at (845) 364-3032 or Email: .

Temporary Assistance provides temporary help to needy men, women and children that are unable to work or are working in a job that pays less than the poverty level.  Depending on individual case circumstances, cash benefits are issued under the Federal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or the New York State Safety Net Assistance guidelines.  Cash benefits are issued through an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) Card.  Please click here for instructions on how to access cash from your Card.  The Temporary Assistance Unit also determines eligibility for Medicaid and Food Stamps for Temporary Assistance applicants and recipients.

"Due to the COVID-19 restrictions and precautions Temporary Assistance applications are now being accepted Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 5:00pm. Until further notice, there are no face to face interviews at this time, ALL interviews will be conducted via telephone to ensure the safety of all of our consumers. For your convenience, a drop box for all applications and documents has been placed directly outside of the lobby located at 50 Sanatorium Road, Bldg. L, Pomona, NY 10980. Please remember to include the following information on all correspondence being placed in the drop box - your name, contact number and case number (if you have one). If you have an emergency or are not able to have a telephone interview please call us at 845-364-3032.

We are available to conduct a prescreening for Temporary Assistance Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 5:00pm. For your convenience, you can send documentation requested by your Caseworker to our email address @ or you can ask a question you have regarding the application process. This e-mail cannot be used to apply for Temporary Assistance."

Temporary Assistance applicants/recipients who have an immediate need for Personal Care Services/Consumer Directed Personal Care Services should see information in the Medicaid section above.

Click here to view a Fact Sheet on Temporary Assistance Temporary_Assistance_Fact_Sheet.pdf

See also: Employment

Eligibility Screening - My Benefits

  • To check initial eligibility for Childcare Subsidies, HEAP, Medicaid, SNAP and Temporary Assistance, as well as several other programs and tax credits, please log on to New York State's MyBenefit's website.
  • In addition to information about various programs, this site contains application information and an eligibility screening feature.
  • Final eligibility is determined by the Department of Social Services at the time of application.