Alternative Examination Dates for Deployed Veterans

For County of Rockland Veterans or personnel still in service, the County Department of Personnel provides alternative Civil Service examination dates for those who will be deployed at the time of the designated testing date(s).

For more information, see our Frequently Asked Questions page, call (845) 364-3737 , or email us at

Guidelines on Additional Veterans' Credits

To be entitled as a veteran to receive 5 points additional credit in an open-competitive examination and 2 ½ points in a promotional examination, or as a disabled veteran to receive 10 points credit in an open-competitive examination and 5 points in a promotional examination, you must present documentary proof (DD214 – Separation From Service Forms or Discharge Papers) to us prior to the establishment of the eligible list and meet all the following:

  1. Be a citizen or an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence (at the time of application for credits);
  2. Have served anywhere in the United States armed forces (see definition in 3 below) during the following dates:
  • World War I - April 6, 1917 - November 11, 1918
  • World War II - December 7, 1941 - December 31, 1946
  • Korean Conflict - June 27, 1950 - January 31, 1955
  • Viet Nam Conflict - February 28, 1961 - May 7, 1975
  • Persian Gulf Conflict - August 2, 1990 - date when hostilities end

Or, have served in the commissioned corps of the United States Public Health Services during:

  • July 29, 1945 - September 2, 1945
  • June 26,1950 - July 3, 1952

Or, have received the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, the Navy Expeditionary Medal or the Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal for the:

  • Hostilities in Lebanon - June 1, 1983 - December 1, 1987
  • Hostilities in Grenada - October 23, 1983 - November 21, 1983
  • Hostilities in Panama - December 20, 1989 - January 31, 1990

3. Expect to receive or have received an honorable discharge or been released under honorable circumstances from the Armed Forces of the United States. ARMED FORCES are defined as the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, and all components thereof and the National Guard when in the service for the United States pursuant to call as provided by law on a full-time duty basis other than active duty training purposes.

4. Be a resident of New York State at the time of application and examination.

A candidate who is currently in the armed forces may receive conditional veterans' credit on an eligible list, however, all of the above criteria must be met prior to certification with such credit.

You must claim the credits when you apply for an examination but may elect to waive them any time before appointment. This affords you the opportunity to learn how you have scored and help you to determine whether it would be to your advantage to use or waive your credits. Veteran's Credits may be used only once. If you have been allowed veteran's credits on several examinations, use thereof for any appointment will cancel the credits allowed on all other tests. Veteran's Credits may be added only to a passing score and cannot bring a failing score (below 70.0) up to a passing grade.

DISABLED VETERANS: If you are claiming credit as a disabled veteran, in addition to establishing your status as a war veteran as indicated above, you must also meet the following criteria:

  1. Be certified by the United States Veteran's Administration as entitled to disability payments for a disability incurred while serving in the United States Armed Forces during the periods specified above; and,
  2. Have your disability rated by the United States Veteran's Administration at 10% or more; and,
  3. Have the disability at the time of application.

Inasmuch as you must be currently disabled at the time you claim the additional credits, proof must be resubmitted if more than one year has passed since you last submitted proof to our office. However, if you have a permanent stabilized disability of 10% or more and have already submitted proof of this to our office, you need not re-submit proof unless specifically requested.

A form for Verification of Your Disability Rating from the Veteran's Administration is available here and at the Rockland County Department of Personnel.

Other Resources

Rockland County Veterans Service Agency

The Rockland County Veterans Service Agency provides aid to Military Veterans in finding employment as well as other services.

Please see our cancellations page for up to date information on meeting, event, class and exam cancellations and/or postponements.