Workgroup for People with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities

The Workgroup for People with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, comprised of local not-for-profit agencies, family members and representatives from State and Local government, meets regularly to identify service needs and to promote the sharing of information to ensure an equitable access to services and distribution of resources for people living in Rockland County with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families. The Workgroup meets monthly to exchange information and to advocate.

If you require any information please feel free to contact the Rockland County Department of Mental Health Coordinator of A-SPOA and IDD Services, Eva Hernandez, at or 845-364-2399. You can also contact the OPWDD Developmental Disabilities Regional Office (DDRO) at 845-947-6390. We will be happy to set you in the right direction.


Office for People With Developmental Disabilities

OPWDD is responsible for coordinating services for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Call the local office at 845-947-6060.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is an Intellectual and Developmental Disability?

An Intellectual Disability is a disability characterized by significant limitations in both intellectual functioning (intelligence) and adaptive behavior (everyday social and practical skills).

A Developmental Disability is characterized by significant limitations to a person's adaptive behaviors that can be the result of specific chromosomal or neurological impairments or result from an incident before, during or after birth. The limitation must have occurred before the person turned 22 years of age. Also, the limitation must be expected to continue indefinitely, posing life-long challenges to the person's ability to care for himself or herself in the community.

How do I receive supports and services?

Through Person-Centered Planning, you will have a voice in designing your service plan that will take into account your own desires and unique needs.

The first step is at what OPWDD calls the Front Door Process. This Statewide, standardized process begins with a call to the local DDRO at 845-947-6390 to introduce yourself and have any general questions answered. You will receive information about eligibility, the role of Care Coordination, attending an orientation session and, if necessary, about how to get assistance in times of emergency. You may also register for a Front Door orientation session. Please visit the OPWDD website for more information about the Front Door Process. For more information on eligibility, please call the DDRO Eligibility Office at 845-947-6031 or visit the OPWDD website. In order to complete the process, you will have to submit all the required information.

Also included on the OPWDD website is information about:

Will age affect eligibility?

Children from birth to seven years of age will receive what is known as provisional eligibility. Please remember that full eligibility will need to be established once a child is eight years of age or older. A delay in establishing full eligibility could impact your ability to access supports and services. It is always best to establish eligibility as soon as possible.

What are the Managed Care and Care Coordination Organizations serving Rockland County?

  1. Advanced Care Alliance of NY, Inc.
    Johnny Li, Care Management (Intake), 646-868-0142,

  2. Care Design NY
    Jeanie Dabenigno-Kelly, Intake Coordinator, 518-816-3724,
    Main number, 518-235-1888, ask for the intake person for Rockland

  3. Life Plan CCO NY, LLC.
    Carla Sinisgalli, Receptionist, 315-565-2612
    Maria Cappeletti, Family and Member Relations,
    Erica Gardner, 845-459-0376,

  4. Tri County Care
    Rachel Tress, Regional Intake Specialist, 844-504-8400 ext. 9213,
    Fay Dohman, Outreach Specialist, 844-504-8400 x 9225,

  5. Partners Health Plan
    David Tanis, 917-608-6521,
    Malik Abdur-Razzaq, 646-844-1020 ext. 1028,

How do I plan my transition from school to adult life?

Navigating the transition from school to adult life is often as confusing for the family as it can be for the student. Luckily, in Rockland County, we have the Rockland Transition Consortium. This is a voluntary organization of representatives from the Rockland County School Districts, not-for-profit agencies, colleges and local government who are committed to providing Special Education students with a smooth transition from school to work, post-secondary education or adult agency services. This Consortium also holds ongoing free educational Workshops open to all. Workshops cover a wide range of topics such as OPWDD eligibility, the Front Door, guardianship, Medicaid and topics related to school and to life after high school.

You can join the Transition Consortium email list by contacting either of the co-chairs: Dawn Kitz at or Mary Ellen Doremus at

What do I do if I or my loved one is experiencing a behavioral health emergency?

Behavioral Health Response Team - BHRT 
The Behavioral Health Response Team is available to all, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call 845-517-0400 or toll free 844-255-BHRT (2478).

OPWDD Crisis Response & Prevention Project for OPWDD eligible people who are experiencing concurrent mental health or behavioral issues. Call 844-START80 or 844-782-7880 and press prompt #1 to register with NYSTART.

Developmental Disability Provider Agencies

Abbott House 
Abbott House is a multi-faceted social service agency dedicated to improving the lives of individuals with developmental disabilities.  914-591-7300

Ability Beyond 
At Ability Beyond we discover, build and celebrate the ability in all people.  203-775-3070

Another Step 
The mission of Another Step, Inc. is to support people who have developmental disabilities in their quest to live ordinary lives.  845-268-8200

The ARC Rockland 
All about abilities — ARC provides supports and services to people of all ages with intellectual and other developmental disabilities.  845-267-2500

Camp Venture, Inc. 
Camp Venture, Inc. is a not-for-profit provider of family-like care and services to children and adults with developmental disabilities.  845-624-3860

Capabilities Partnership, Inc. dba Epilepsy Society of Southern New York  
The mission of Capabilities Partnership Inc. is to provide comprehensive services to people with epilepsy and other neurological, physical and developmental disabilities and their families, for the promotion of independence and quality of life.  845-627-0627 or 800-640-0371

Center for Human Development & Family Services, Inc. (CHDFS, Inc.) 
CHDFS, Inc. is committed to providing a safe haven and caring community for those in need by assisting families, individuals and children in meeting their emotional, physical and intellectual needs.  845-675-7979

Crystal Run Village, Inc. 
Crystal Run Village, Inc. is an independent, non-profit provider of services to more than 700 people with developmental, physical and psychiatric disabilities, spectrum disorders, and individuals with a dual diagnosis.  845-368-8669

Hamaspik Rockland 
Hamaspik's mission is to assist people with disabilities in reaching their utmost potential and engaging life as they would without disabilities.  845-356-8400

Hudson Valley DDRO 
The DDRO provides, promotes and assures that needed services are available to people affected by developmental disabilities, so that they may achieve increasing levels of independence, inclusion, individuation and productivity in the community.  For a listing of available services, go to the Provider Directory on the OPWDD website.  845-947-6004

Jawonio, Inc. 
Jawonio's mission is to advance the independence, well-being and equality of people with disabilities or special needs.  845-708-2000

Mental Health Association of Rockland County 
The Mental Health Association's 'Friendship Club' provides socialization and recreation to adults with a developmental disability living with family or independently in the community.  845-267-2172

YAI Hudson Valley
The Rockland County Association for Persons with Disabilities (RCAPD), recently merged with YAI, is a not-for-profit agency that provides a comprehensive range of services in Rockland, Orange, Westchester, Bronx, Putnam, Dutchess, Sullivan and Ulster counties.  845-358-5700

Rockland Jewish Family Service 
RJFS is an independent, not-for-profit and nonsectarian organization that is dedicated to providing exceptional services to the Rockland community in a warm and caring environment.  845-354-2121

Share 2/47 
SHARE 24/7, a division of Chesed 24/7, provides comprehensive care and advocacy for individuals with developmental disabilities and their families.  845-354-3233

St. Agatha Home of The New York Foundling 
The Foundling's diverse network of programs works interactively to provide care for families with multiple social, economic, medical and psychological needs.  845-623-3461

Yedei Chesed, Inc. 
Yedei Chesed an affiliate of Bikur Cholim - Partners In Health, is a not-for-profit organization that provides an array of services to individuals, both children and adults, with developmental disabilities and their family members.  845-425-0887

Saint Dominic's Family Services 
Saint Dominic's Family Services is committed to providing caring, respectfully delivered services to individuals with developmental disabilities and their families in a personalized and professional manner.  845-359-3400

Other Providers, Resources and Family Advocacy

Access & Functional Needs Registry
Area residents with limited mobility or special needs that may impact a timely response during an emergency can enroll in the Rockland County Access & Functional Needs Registry, so that emergency personnel are aware of your needs in the event of an emergency.

ACCES-VR - Adult Career and Continuing Education Services-Vocational Rehabilitation 
ACCES-VR offers access to a full range of employment and independent living services that may be needed by persons with disabilities throughout their lives. Call the local office at 845-426-5410.

BRiDGES mission is to provide advocacy and leadership in the creation and development of an accessible and integrated community for people with disabilities, so that they may purse lifestyles of their choice.  Call 845-624-1366 for more information.

MHA Consumer Family Outreach Program
This program is designed to help people with mental illness connect with treatment while providing their families and significant others with support and coping skills. Please call 845-267-2172 ext 264 or 266.

MHA Family Peer Support Services
These services are comprised of an array of formal and informal services and supports provided to families raising a child who is experiencing social, emotional, developmental, substance use and/or behavioral challenges in their home, school, placement, or community.  Please call 845-267-2172 ext. 278 or 279 for more information.

NAMI Rockland Family Peer Support Program
This program provides a non-judgmental, individualized and strength-based approach to helping families of children and teens living with mental illness and/or behavioral issues. Please call 845-359-8785 for more information.

OPWDD Consumer Family Council
The Council's mission is to provide a strong consumer and family voice as partners with the local Developmental Disability Regional Office (DDRO) in the planning, development and monitoring of Family Support Services in Orange, Rockland and Sullivan Counties.  This forum also gives parents the opportunity to speak directly to senior agency staff on current matters impacting our families and services.  Meetings are held quarterly on Wednesday evenings at the DDRO office in Thiells and begin promptly at 7 pm.  Please contact either the Family Support Services Coordinator in the HVDDRO at 845-947-6238, or Larry Bate, Chairperson, Consumer Council, Rockland, Orange and Sullivan Counties, at

Rockland Transition Consortium 
The Transition Consortium educates students and their families before and during transitions. The goal is to link families with resources for the transition from school to work and/or post-secondary programs, from children's services to adult services, and from home to the community.  To contact the Transition Consortium for free workshop dates and times, please email Mary Ellen Doremus at or Dawn Kitz at

Westchester Institute for Human Development 
WIHD is regional center serving Rockland County, is a comprehensive community resource for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities, vulnerable children and families, that provides direct medical, dental, clinical and social services.  Programs include Hudson Valley Special Education Parent Center, Early Intervention: The Family Connection, and Lower Hudson Early Childhood Direction Center.

Other Resources and Information

Brain Injury Association of America
The mission of the Brain Injury Association of America is bring help, hope and healing to millions of individuals living with brain injury, and their families and the professionals who serve them, through advocacy, education and research.  800-444-6443

Cerebral Palsy Guidance
Cerebral Palsy Guidance was created to provide answers and assistance to parents of a child with cerebral palsy. The goal is to reach as many members of the cerebral palsy community as possible, while building up a network of support, as well as providing necessary assistance.  Our articles cover cerebral palsy from all angles – from symptoms, causes and treatment, to daily living information, such as communication and transitioning to adulthood.

Child Care Resources of Rockland
The mission of Child Care Resources of Rockland is to promote, support and enhance the healthy development of all children by providing resource and referral services for families seeking child care, workforce training and advocacy.  845-425-0009

College Resources for Students with Disabilities
Prospective college students with disabilities will find that many campuses are equipped with offices and services that address accessibility, accommodation and assistive technology for a diverse range of needs.

Hudson Valley Region 211
Hudson Valley Region 211 is the first point of contact for Rockland residents to be connected to a vast array of health and human services available to them. Dial 211. The Hudson Valley DDPC online database provides a list of services for those with intellectual or developmental disabilities.

Hudson Valley Special Education Parent Center
The Hudson Valley Special Education Parent Center (HVSEPC) at Westchester Institute for Human Development (WIHD) offers information and resources about the special education process to parents of children with disabilities in the Hudson Valley region and is funded by a grant from the New York State Education Department.  914-493-7665

New York State Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs
The Justice Center was created in legislation known as the "Protection of People with Special Needs Act" to establish the strongest standards and practices in the nation for protecting people with special needs. It serves both as a law enforcement agency and as an advocate for people with special needs.

NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation
The Access Pass permits residents of New York State with disabilities, as defined in the application, free or discounted use of state parks, historic sites, and recreational facilities operated by the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation and the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. The pass holder may have free or discounted use of facilities operated by these offices, for which there is normally a charge.