It's up to each one of us to make small lifestyle changes to improve and maintain good health, and the RC Walks Pedometer Program will help you do just that! We encourage participants to walk not only on treadmills and through your neighborhoods, but also at the local malls and state, county and town parks.
Get involved! Call (845) 364-2500 to sign up. You'll receive a free pedometer just for signing up! As with any physical activity program, it is recommended you speak to your physician before starting.
Did you know that one-third of Americans do not get any daily physical activity? RC Walks encourages everyone to walk to help prevent diseases like obesity and diabetes. Walking is free exercise requiring only a good pair of walking shoes or sneakers and a commitment to good health.
FEEL THE POWER OF HALF AN HOUR: 30 minutes of walking a day! Follow these walking tips:
- Walk in the morning at the mall, park, or gym.
- Park further from the door and walk to your destination.
- In bad weather, walk at the mall or on a treadmill.
- When waiting for an appointment, take a walk.
- Get the whole family walking after dinner instead of watching TV.
- On long drives, take 15-minute breaks to walk.
- Walk in shorter increments such as 10 minutes 3 times a day OR 15 minutes 2 times a day
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator
- Park in the far corner of a parking lot
- Count the steps you take during the workday
Planning on spending time outdoors? Follow these tips to help prevent Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases. For more information call (845) 364-2500 or click here.