The School Coalition is closely affiliated with the Steps to a Healthier Rockland initiative to improve access to physical activity and better nutrition though it is not limited to this.
School Coalition Activities Enhance:
- Implementation of coordinated school health, wellness policies and practices
- Professional development
- Educational programming
- Sharing of resources
A Steering Committee plans the Community Learning Forums and School Health Showcase and ensures that programming is responsive to the needs of schools and the community. The School Coalition meets four times per year and has three workgroups. Participation in the Community Learning Forums, Showcase and workgroup meetings is open to the public.
- Physical Activity - promotes evidence-based strategies to increase access to physical activity to improve child health and learning readiness and academic performance. Contact email@example.com.
- Protective Factors – identifies ways to educate the adults in children's lives about critical child health issues as defined in the New York State Prevention Agenda. The workgroup is currently developing a presentation for parents on preventing sexually transmitted infection and substance abuse among youth. Contact SoutoM@co.rockland.ny.us
- School Food Service Directors' Cooperative - Food service directors from Rockland County school districts meet three times per year to problemm solve and share successes to enhance their ability to deliver healthy meals to students that meet the Healthy Hunger-free Kids Act, 2010.
- School Health Advisory Council Coordinators - District wellness coordinators meet twice per year for updates, sharing concerns and successes, and planning. Participation by invitation only.
- Steering Committee - A committee representing 12 organizations and schools meet regularly to develop the programming offered through the School Coalition. Member organizations: Mothers Against Destructive Decisions, Rockland Council on Alcoholism and Other Drugs Dependence, Rockland 21st Century Collaborative for Children and Youth, Central Hudson PTA, Head Start of Rockland, Rockland County Department of Health, Long Island University, Town of Clarkstown Recreation and Parks, East Ramapo Family Resource Centers, Rockland Teachers' Center. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
To participate in workgroups or to receive announcements of School Coalition activites, contact the School Health Coordinator at the Rockland County Department of Health at email@example.com or 845-364-2360.
Resources Produced by the School Coalition & Available to the Public:
- Health Fair Planning Guide provides step by step instructions on how to plan a successful health fair. The Guide also includes templates for letters, lists and forms.
- School Resource Guide - an online resource designed for school personnel, parents and youth to quickly access local resources on topics related to student and family health as well as school programming.
- Eat Together! campaign to promote the family meal has brochures in English and Spanish, a flyer, table top display and power point presentation in English that may be reproduced and used.
The members listed below have all signed a Statement of Commitment to the vision and mission of the Rockland County School Health and Wellenss Coalition. Membership is open to organizations and schools, individuals and businesses. Click the membership catagory highlighted in blue that best suits you for the correct Statement of Commitment form. We look forward to having you join us! For more information, contact the School Health Coordinator at the Rockland County Department of Health.
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amazing Grace Circus
- Bardonia Physical Therapy
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Rockland County
- Caminez Chiropractic
- CEJJES Institute
- Central Hudson Region PTA
- Chiku Awali African Dance, Arts and Culture of Rockland, Incorporated
- Child Care Resources of Rockland
- Clarkstown Central School District
- Clarkstown Coalition for Youth, Inc.
- Clarkstown Council of PTAs
- Cornell Cooperative Extension of Rockland County
- Dinner Together, LLC
- East Ramapo Central School District
- EPIC: Every Person Influences Children
- Good Samaritan Hospital
- Haverstraw Harvest Farmers' Market
- Head Start of Rockland
- Healthy Concepts Research, Inc.
- Holistic Moms of Rockland
- Hudson River Health Care
- Information Rockland
- Jeffrey Friedberg Music Therapy Center
- Dr. Katherine Ward
- Keep Rockland Beautiful
- Lorette Adams
- Margaret D'Auria
- Martin Luther King Multi Purpose Center
- MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving)
- Nanuet Public Schools
- North Rockland Central School District
- Not in Our Town
- Nyack Public School
- NYS Osteoporosis Prevention & Education Program
- Pearl River School District
- Pediatric and Adolescent Dentristry of Rockland County, PC
- Planned Parenthood Hudson Peconic
- Ramapo Central School District
- Rockland 21st Century Collaborative for Children and Youth
- Rockland After School Programs
- Rockland Alliance for Health
- Rockland BOCES
- Rockland Coalition for Better School Food
- Rockland Council on Alcoholism and Other Drug Dependence
- Rockland Country Day School
- Rockland County Department of Health
- Rockland County Solid Waste Management Authority
- Rockland County Youth Bureau
- Rockland Farm Alliance
- Rockland Independent Living Center
- Rockland Teachers' Center
- Rockland Youth Environmental Society
- Shining Mountain Center for Peaceful Childhood, Inc.
- Sonshine Community Nursery School and Day Care
- South Orangetown Central School District
- Steps to a Healthier Rockland
- Strawtown Art and Garden Studio
- Sunshine Homecare
- TGA Premier Junior Golf and Tennis
- The Food Evolution
- The Health Network
- The Pfeiffer Center
- The Veggiecation Program
- United Health Care
- Yeshiva Darchei Noam