The 5th Annual March Forward will be Friday, March 3!
March Forward is Rockland County's annual school-based physical activity awareness day that takes place on the first Friday of March. In classrooms across the county students will be led in physically active "brain breaks" to improve focus and concentration. In addition, active breaks help students get the recommended minimum 60 minutes of physical activity a day.
New this year!
Participating schools must pre-register and each participating teacher will submit their own Participation Feedback Form. The Participation Feedback Form will be active on March 3rd and can be used to report classroom as well as school-wide physical activity on March Forward.
Register your school
Report physical activity breaks using the Participation Feedback Form at the end of the day. This form is used for classroom physical activity breaks as well as for school-wide physical activity breaks.
Remember to remind students and staff of the March Forward Message:
- Physical activity helps us do better in school.
- Physical activity helps us look and feel our best.
- Being physically active is a great way to make friends.
- Be physically active for at least 60 minutes each day.
Check out the resources below for ideas on how to use physically active Brain Breaks in your classroom!
Summit Park Elementary School classroom
participating in March Forward 2016
Rockland Country Day School students and teachers participating in a teacher-led yoga demonstration as part of March Forward 2016
Physical Activity Brain Breaks: A Resource List for Classroom Activities.
- Elementary School (Let's Move Active Schools/Alliance for a Healthier Generation).
- Go Noodle (short movement break videos for children (K-5) to follow along to).
- Keen Cat Exercises (teacher-led simple movements K-5).
- Secondary School (Let's Move Active Schools/Alliance for a Healthier Generation).
- 3-minute Brain Breaks (quick brain teasers with movement that can be adapted for elementary and secondary).
- North Carolina Energizers (Classroom energizers K-5 and middle school by subject).
- Active Academics A resource for classroom teachers to provide practical physical activity ideas.
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation Fit for a Healthier Generation Video Series.
March Forward was created by the Steering Committee of the Rockland County School Health and Wellness Coalition and launched in 2013. Data collection materials and technology is maintained by the following School Coalition community partners: Rockland County Department of Health and Rockland Teachers' Center.
For more information about March Forward, email the School Health Coordinator (email@example.com) or call (845) 364-2360 at the Rockland County Department of Health.