Ed Day, Rockland County Executive
May 23, 2016
Contact: County Executive's Office, (845) 638-5122
Patricia Schnabel Ruppert, DO, MPH, DABFM, FAAFP (845) 364-2512
STAY HEALTHY AND FIT NO MATTER WHAT YOUR AGE
NEW CITY, NY -- National Senior Health and Fitness Day is Wednesday, May 25th. Rockland County Executive Ed Day and County Health Commissioner Dr. Patricia Schnabel Ruppert remind you to start, or remain being active, no matter what your age.
"Exercise provides many health benefits. Being physically active can help you stay strong and fit enough to keep doing the things you like to do as you get older. Making exercise and physical activity a regular part of your life can improve your health and help you stay more independent as you age," said Dr. Ruppert.
Here are some programs that can help you remain active:
- A Matter of Balance: Managing Concerns about Falls: is a free program designed to reduce fear of falling and increase activity levels among older adults. Trained facilitators (coaches) conduct eight two-hour sessions for groups of 10 to 12 participants. Participants learn to view falls and fear of falling as controllable and to set realistic goals for increasing activity. Mild physical exercise is part of the program. Call (845) 364-2500 to find out when our next program will be held.
- Guided Park Walks: Join experienced Rockland County Trail Guides on a variety of free local guided walks. Put on your walking shoes and take advantage of this great chance to explore our beautiful, natural environment and get some exercise at the same time! The walks offer great scenery, interesting discussion points, and different levels of walking (easy, moderate, or strenuous). For more information about the walks or to register, call (845) 708-7307 or e-mail email@example.com or visit http://rocklandgov.com/departments/health/programs-and-services/walking-program/guided-park-walks/
Here are some other suggestions:
- Check out your local school district's community education programs, many of which have fitness classes for seniors
- Local towns and villages have programs for seniors and sponsor senior clubs
- Rockland Community College, Dominican College, St. Thomas Aquinas College, and Nyack College permit seniors to audit classes if space is available
- Walk around your neighborhood or at the Palisades Mall or walk the aisles in your local supermarket
Investing time and energy in you has great benefits to your health and well-being! For more information visit www.nia.nih.gov/health/publication/exercise-physical-activity/introduction for Exercise & Physical Activity: Your Everyday Guide from the National Institute on Aging. As with any physical activity program, it is recommended you speak to your physician before starting.