Ed Day, Rockland County Executive
September 21, 2015
Contact: Scott Salotto (845) 638-5645
Patricia Schnabel Ruppert, DO, FAAFP (845) 364-2512
TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR HEALTH!
NEW CITY, NY - - Rockland County Executive Ed Day and County Health Commissioner Dr. Patricia Schnabel Ruppert encourage residents to sign up for free or low-cost programs offered by the Rockland County Department of Health.
"We offer programs that can help you make healthy changes in your life to reduce your risk of illness and your risk of fall-related injuries. We also offer programs that will help you gain the skills you need to better manage your ongoing health condition(s) and improve the quality of your life," said Dr Ruppert.
Sign up now for one (or more) of the following programs (pre-registration is required):
Better Choices Better Health: Managing Ongoing Health Conditions
Do you have a chronic health condition that is stopping you from living your life to its fullest? If yes, then join us at one of the following free six-session workshop series:
- Wednesdays, September 30 to November 4, from 10:30 am to 1:00 pm, at the Kings' Daughters Library in Garnerville. Call 364-2501 to register.
- Wednesdays, October 7 to November 18 (no class on November 11), from 11:00 am to 1:30 pm, at the Martin Luther King Center in Spring Valley. Call 573-9860 Extension 60511 to register.
Living Well With Diabetes
This 6-week program will help you learn how to manage your type 2 diabetes and prevent complications.
- Tuesdays, October 20 to November 24, from 3:30 pm to 6:00 pm, at the Clarkstown Community Learning Center (CCLC) in Congers. The CCLC typically charges a $10 fee for participants to attend programs at their site. Call 639-5628 to register.
Diabetes Prevention Program
This free highly successful 16-week program will help you prevent type 2 diabetes. You will learn how to improve your food choices and lose weight, increase your physical activity level, and learn coping skills to maintain weight loss. Call 364-3864 to find out if this program is for you.
- Wednesdays, beginning September 30, from 5:15 pm to 6:15 pm, at the Robert L. Yeager Health Center, Building J, in Pomona.
A Matter of Balance
Our free fall-prevention program can help you learn to reduce your fear and risk of falling, increase your activity levels, make changes to reduce the risk of falls, and learn simple exercises to increase strength and balance. Call 364-2501 to register. Choose one of the following eight-week series:
- Fridays, September 25 to November 13, from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm, at the Pearl River Library in Pearl River.
- Mondays, September 28 to November 23 (no class on October 12), from 10 am to 12 pm, at the Robert L. Yeager Health Center, Building J, in Pomona.
- Tuesdays, September 29 to November 17, from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm, at the YMCA in Nyack.
Call 364-2501 for more information or visit the Health Department website at www.rocklandgov.com/health.