Ed Day, Rockland County Executive
October 1, 2015
Contact: Scott Salotto (845) 638-5645
Patricia Schnabel Ruppert, DO, FAAFP (845) 364-2512
JOIN US OCTOBER 10 ON A FREE GUIDED PARK WALK
Make a Columbus Day Weekend discovery of someplace special in Rockland County
NEW CITY, NY - - - Rockland County Executive Ed Day and County Health Commissioner Dr. Patricia Schnabel Ruppert encourage you to put on your walking shoes and enjoy the "great outdoors!" Join experienced Rockland County Trail Guide Docents on a free local guided walk at Clausland Mountain County Park on Saturday, October 10, 2015.
"We hope County residents take advantage of this great chance to explore our beautiful, natural environment, view early fall foliage, learn a bit of local history, and get some exercise at the same time," said Dr. Ruppert:
Clausland Mountain County Park:
Saturday, October 10, 2015 from 10 am – 12 pm
- Join Docent Marianne Bloomfeld on this moderate (2-sneaker) 3-mile walk on a woodland trail that intersects with The Long Path and observe seasonal changes. What will we discover? The dry summer might bring early fall foliage. Rain might bring a new crop of mushrooms. Fall flowers will be in bloom. Clausland Mountain County Park includes a surprising place of significant historical interest - a Nike Missile Base on Clausland Mountain. "The Cold War" might be ancient history for some, but a lifetime memory for others. For more information about the park and a park map visit http://goo.gl/CUhGB0
- Directions: Take Route 59 to Route 303 South. Go 2.4 miles to Spruce Street (CR 28) and turn left. (Spruce Street becomes Clausland Mountain Road). Go 1.5 miles and turn right onto Tweed Blvd. (CR 5). Go 1.3 miles and turn right onto Nike Lane. Turn left at the sign for Nike Park. Park near the trailhead on the left. For a link to web-based directions, visit: https://goo.gl/pSzbNV
- Restrooms are not available, no dogs are allowed, and this walk is not stroller friendly. This walk is appropriate for youth and up.
Important general information about the guided walks:
- Pre-registration for all walks is suggested, but not required. For more information or to register, call (845) 708-7307 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please check rocklandsteps.org/calendar and click on the walk(s) you are interested in for more information, directions, and any changes to the schedule. Walks are held through out the year - stay tuned by checking out the website periodically for updates.
- Meet in the parking lot, unless otherwise specified. All walks are rain or shine. Wear proper footwear (closed-toe sturdy shoes such as walking shoes/boots or sneakers) and clothing (light-colored) and seasonally appropriate attire such as a jacket or hat, depending on the weather. Hiking boots are preferred. Bring along binoculars, water, sunscreen, a snack, and walking sticks if desired. As with any physical activity program, it is recommended you speak to your physician before starting.
- All guided walks are coordinated and supported in partnership with the Rockland County Division of Environmental Resources, the Rockland County Youth Bureau's Conservation and Service Corps program and the Rockland County Department of Health's Steps to a Healthier Rockland program.