The Rockland County Department of Health regulates several solid waste programs to protect the public health and environment of Rockland County.  The department enforces laws and sanitary codes in regards to the generation, separation, collection, transportation and disposal of waste in Rockland County.


It is the law in Rockland County that all individuals, businesses recycle_cont.JPGand schools recycle. In addition, the Article XVII of the Rockland County Sanitary Code requires that a Recycling Plan Form is to be submitted by owners of any structure other than a single or two family dwelling and tenants occupying space, other than living space, within any facility (a facility being any structure other than a single or two family dwelling).

These plans are to be submitted every 5 years. There is a plan review fee associated with this submittal.

Materials required to be recycled include:

  • Mixed paper defined as any clean paper products including but not limited to newspaper, mail, cardboard, school and office paper, magazines, catalogs, telephone books, paperback books and brown grocery bags.
  • Commingled containers defined as containers made from all grades of plastic (except Styrofoam and plastic bags), aluminum, metal, and glass.
  • Construction and demolition debris defined as solid waste resulting from construction, remodeling, repair, demolition of structures, and road building.  Such wastes include but are not limited to bricks, concrete and other masonry materials, lumber and asphalt.
  • Yard waste defined as grass clippings, leaves, brush and cuttings from shrubs, hedges and trees.  Trees and tree stumps are exempt.
  • Scrap metals defined as white goods (stoves, refrigerators, washing machines, dishwashers and hot water heaters), metal furniture, recognizable and uncontaminated metal vehicle parts (excluding mufflers and catalytic converters and parts that contain fluids or motor oils), metal pipes, bed frames, metal sheds and other metal objects, which has been discarded or rejected as being spent, useless, worthless, or in excess to the owners at the time of such discard or rejection, having served their intended use.

recycle_paper.JPGSeparation of materials at the point of generation and placement into labeled recycling containers is required. Commingling of recyclable materials and non-recyclable materials is prohibited.

For additional information, please call 845-364-2580.



Waste Hauler Permitting

garbage_truck_2.jpgArticle III of the Rockland County Sanitary Code requires that all vehicles removing, collecting, transporting or disposing of offensive or non-offensive materials in Rockland County have a hauler permit issued by the Department of Health.

Hauler permit applications are available to download:

Hauler permit application for garbage, recyclables (mixed paper, commingled containers), construction & demolition debris, yard waste or scrap metal. Offensive Material Hauler permit application is needed for sewage, petroleum waste, chemical waste, medical waste, rendering waste, grease and waste oil.

For additional information, please call 845-364-2175.


Flow Control

The Rockland County Flow Control Law was adopted by the garbage_truck.jpgRockland County Legislature on May 20, 2008. The law seeks to increase the rate of recycling and provide for the safe and environmentally sound handling and disposal of the solid waste generated in Rockland. Flow Control regulates the collection, transportation and disposal of solid waste, by requiring garbage, recyclables, construction & demolition debris, and yard waste generated in the county be delivered to facilities designated by the Rockland County Solid Waste Management Authority.

 Waste Type:  Designated Facility:                 
Garbage ~>
  • Bowline Transfer Station
  • Clarkstown Transfer Station
  • Hillburn Transfer Station

Recyclables (mixed paper, cardboard, glass, aluminum & plastic containers) ~>

  • Hillburn Materials Recovery Facility
Construction & Demolition Debris (contaminated sheetrock, lumber, shingles, plaster, etc.) ~>
  • Bowline Transfer Station
  • Clarkstown Transfer Station
  • Hillburn Transfer Station
Concrete ~> 
  • Clarkstown Concrete Crusher
Yard Waste (grass, leaves, brush) ~>
  • Clarkstown Yard Waste Facility

Flow_Control.jpgDesignated facilities and the types of waste they accept are available to download or print on the Flow Control Flyer and the Flow Control Map.

For additional information, please call 845-364-2175.



Household Hazardous Waste Program

The Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Facility is a drop-off collection facility that accepts household hazardous waste materials from Rockland County residents and small businesses that qualify for CESQG status. Rockland residents can drop off household hazardous waste free of charge, during operating hours.

Scheduled 2016 Drop-Off Dates:

  • Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 1:00pm, except holidays.
  • Saturdays: Mar 12, May 14, Jul 9, Sep 17, Nov 5.
  • Sundays: Apr 10, Jun 5, Aug 7 , Oct 16, Dec 4.

Map and Directions to the facility

HHW Brochure - lists acceptable and non-acceptable materials


Small businesses, institutions, and non-profits in Rockland County that qualify for CESQG (Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators) status may also deliver household hazardous waste to the HHW Facility for a fee. This fee is waived for Rockland municipalities and schools. Material from CESQGs will not be accepted without an appointment. To schedule an appointment, call 845-364-3682 or email


Electronic waste is the fastest growing waste stream in North America. Waste electronics can be brought to the HHW Facility, ARC of Rockland or participating retailers for recycling. eWorks at ARC of Rockland accepts residential and business electronics. Drop off on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1:00pm - 3:00pm at 25 Hemlock Dr. in Congers, NY. For information call 845-450-5900.


Controlled substance, non-controlled substance and over the counter medications can be brought to the Rockland County Sheriff's Office, located at 55 New Hempstead Road in New City, 24 hours a day. For more information call 845-638-5401.


SHARPS are needles, syringes and lancets used by residents for self medication.

SHARPS are not accepted at the HHW facility.  Locations for disposal are listed in the SHARPS brochure