Who to Call

In an effort to make environmental information readily available to the public, the Rockland County Division of Environmental Resources compiled a list of frequently asked questions along with the appropriate contact information; please refer to the list below for details.
  • Environmental Conservation Officers (ECO) and Forest Rangers
    As per the NYS DEC website, it is advised to contact your local Environmental Conservation Officer (ECO) and/or Forest Ranger for natural resources issues. 
    Environmental Conservation Officers enforce New York's Environmental Conservation Laws, including those relating to environmental quality, hunting, fishing and trapping and protection of natural resources. 
    Wildlife Poaching, Nuisance Wildlife or Illegal Dumping
    Have you seen wildlife poaching activities, nuisance wildlife and/or people dumping grass clippings or other items in your local stream? If so, please contact your Region 3 NYS DEC Environmental Conservation Officer.
    Forest Rangers organize and conduct wild land search and rescue missions, prevent and suppress forest fires and act as stewards of public lands."
    ECO Region 3 contacts: http://www.dec.ny.gov/about/702.html
    Forest Ranger Region 3 contacts: http://www.dec.ny.gov/about/673.htm

  • Fish Kills
    If you would like to report a fish kill (large amount of dead fish in a waterway) please contact the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation, Region 3, Fisheries Unit (845) 256-3161 Fish kills may be due to natural conditions in our waterways, most common in the winter months or can be associated with an illicit discharge or other source.

  • Illegal Dumping/ Discharges
    If you witness illegal dumping into a nearby storm drain, waterway, or forested area please contact the NYS Spill Hotline at 1-800-457-7362 or visit the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation, Chemical and Petroleum Spill's website. The U.S. EPA defines Illicit Discharge as  "any discharge to an MS4 that is not composed entirely of rainwater" ("Stormwater Phase 2 Final Rule, Fact Sheet 2.5, 2005).  If you would like to report an illicit discharge please refer to the Rockland County Stormwater Consortium Brochure which outlines proper steps to take if you suspect an illicit discharge.

  • NYS DEC Endorsed 4 Hour Training in Erosion & Sediment Control
    Interested in registering for the 4 hour training? Rockland County Soil & Water Conservation District hosts one training annually, each Fall. Feel free to check out the Boards & Committees Page for more details or refer to the NYS DEC Training Calendar for future training dates and locations. An online version of the 4 Hour Training is available for registration on the NYS DEC site as well.

  • Wildlife Rehabilitator
    If you are looking for a local wildlife rehabilitator, please refer to the NYS DEC website for the most up to date list of local facilities.

  • Giant Hogweed
    If you think you may have Giant Hogweed, a noxious weed, DO NOT TOUCH the plant. Below is an image of the plant. The NYS DEC has a hotline to contact to track the spread of this species. More information can be found here: http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/39809.html
    Photo credit: NYS DEC website http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/39809.html

  • Mosquito Control
    Worried about mosquito larvae in your swimming pool?  Contact the Rockland County Department of Health, Division of Environmental Health regarding their FREE Mosquito Dunk Program
    • Mosquito Dunks® can be picked up from the Health Department in Pomona, Bldg D for homeowner swimming pool use ONLY. They are available from April 1st - October 31st, Monday - Friday 9:00am-4:00pm, while supplies last.

  • Ticks
    As the temperatures begin to warm up, be sure to keep an eye out for ticks. Rockland County Department of Health has information available on their website for local residents. Tick identification is available at Cornell Cooperative Extension of Rockland County.

  • Plant and Pest Identification
    Cornell Cooperative Extension of Rockland County, Horticulture Lab is also available, with a fee, for pH soil testing, indoor pest id and treatment as well as composting questions.  CCE is also a great resource for plant identification if you are uncertain whether you have an invasive terrestrial plant species on your property.  The lab is open to the public April- October from 9am-2pm Monday- Thursday; November-March from 9am-12pm Monday- Thursday.