Jay Hood Jr. ~ District 3 Legislator
(845) 638-5751 ~ HoodJ@co.rockland.ny.us
- Committee Chair: Budget & Finance, Rules Committee.
- Committee Member: Environmental, Government Operations, Public Safety.
Jay Hood, Jr. was raised in Haverstraw, graduated from Saint Peter's Elementary School, played in the Haverstraw Little League and the North Rockland Soccer Association. He wants to continue to give back to the community that treated him so well growing up. This leads to one goal - make our neighborhoods better and safer places to live. We must continue to work to stabilize taxes following the Mirant Power Plant bankruptcy and tax grievance; obtain more State and Federal funding to help ease local taxes, continue to fight quality of life crimes and intelligently plan for affordable housing for our Seniors and young adults.
Wife, Julie Meyers
Sons, Avery Lucas Hood & Quinlan Reece Hood
- St. Peter's School -1984
- St. Joseph's High School -1988
- St. Bonaventure University -1992 - B.S.-Mathematics
- Villanova School of Law -1995
- Partner in private law practice Hood, Hood and Hood, Esqs.
- Haverstraw Town Councilman 2005-2007
- Successfully fought to keep the Villages united during the County Redistricting
- Haverstraw Deputy Village Attorney (1998-2005)
- New York State Democratic Committee Member
- Chairman- Waterfront Action Committee
- Chairman- Haverstraw Youth Theater 2006-2007
- Coordinator Haverstraw Façade Program 1999-2005, responsible for managing a $500,000 renovation program rehabilitation of over 40 buildings
- Chairman - Village of Haverstraw Democratic Committee
- Actively involved in the Revitalization of the Village since 1995
- Received Pro Bono Legal Services Award for providing free legal representation for the County's low-income residents
- American Red Cross Board Member – successfully raised funds for Disaster Relief 2001 – 2003
- Active member or charitable contributor to many local organizations including:Haverstraw Elks Club, North Rockland Rotary, Arts Alliance of Haverstraw, Haverstraw Brick Museum, Haverstraw Relief Task Force, Greater Haverstraw Chamber of Commerce, Quisqueya Sports Club, The Manny Lopez Memorial Fund
Legislative Committee Assignments:
- Chair, Budget & Finance Committee
- Member, Environmental, Government Operations and Public Safety Committees