Resident of Rockland for over 50 years. Graduate of Clarkstown High School in 1964. Moved to Wesley Hills, Town of Ramapo and has resided there for the last 30 years. Two adult children who attended and graduated from Ramapo High School in the East Ramapo School District.
- St. John's University, School of Law. Graduated with a Juris Doctor degree in 1971.
- Pace University in New York City. Graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1969.
- Rockland Community College. Graduated with an Associates degree in Applied Arts in 1967.
- Ilan began serving in the Rockland County Legislature in January of 1996 to represent the Town of Ramapo, presently representing Legislative District 4.
- For ten years, 1983-93, Ilan was the County Attorney for Rockland. Previously, he was the Deputy County Attorney from 1978-83 and the Assistant County Attorney from 1975-78.
- Ilan acted as Legislative Counsel from January 1994 through February 1995.
- Ilan was the Deputy Town Attorney for the Town of Ramapo from February 1995 through December 1995.
- Ilan was a practicing attorney for 40 years; 36 years in Rockland County.
- Ilan was the Finance Director of the Town of Ramapo from January 2003 to March 2008.
- Admitted to practice law in the State of New York in February 1972.
- Admitted to the United States District Court, Southern District, New York, 1975.
- United States District Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 1975.
- United States Supreme Court, 1977.
- United States Tax Court, 1974.
County Government Committees
- Presently Chairs the Legislature's Planning & Public Works Committee, and is a Member of Budget and Finance and Economic Development Committees.
- Previously served as Chairman of the Legislature for 2001 and 2002, Chair of Budget and Finance from 2005 to 2012 and 1998 to 2000, and served as Chairman of the Planning and Public Works Committee in 2003, 2004 and 2013.
- During Ilan's approximately 38 years in town and county government he has served on numerous committees to review government operations, procedures and proposals including among others: the Special Committee on Campaign Reform, Special Committee on Court Facilities Capital Plan, the Special Committee to Study Withdrawal from the Metropolitan Transportation Authority and the Magistrates Committee to Study the Creation of a District Court System for Rockland County.
- Ilan was the County Attorney at the time a County Charter/Executive Form of Government was created.
- Current Member of the Solid Waste Management Authority and has been a member for 18 years.