Ed Day, Rockland County Executive

September 30, 2014
Contact:  Scott Salotto (845) 638-5645


NEW CITY, NY  --  County Executive Ed Day, joined by County Legislator Harriet Cornell and Environmental Resources Coordinator Allan Beers, today cut the ribbon on the new gateway to Dutch Garden County Park in New City, the final piece in the historic park's total restoration.

"Providing greater access to Dutch Garden for public enjoyment was a top priority for this Administration," said County Executive Day. "This thoughtfully designed gateway reclaims a neglected commercial site, turning it into a spectacular community amenity, increasing opportunities for recreation and reflection in one of Rockland's most treasured open spaces."

Designed by Behan Planning and Design, the new gateway area integrates the Dutch Garden with the New City Revitalization Project. The layout and orientation of the 18-space parking area celebrates an unrivaled view of the ornamental Tea House, which had been formerly hidden from pedestrians and drivers on Main Street for more than 80 years. Sight lines from First Street looking west towards the park offer a majestic vista of the park, blended into an attractive sitting patio. Plantings, brickwork, fencing are consistent with the park's historic character and landscape.

The gateway area measures 64 feet wide by 280 feet long and includes two handicapped accessible parking spaces. Eastchester-based WJL Equities Corp. was the contractor.  Total construction cost was $244,286 and all work was completed on time and within budget. Rockland County purchased the commercial property in 2008 to provide handicapped access to the Dutch Garden.

Built during the Depression years of 1934 to 1936, Dutch Garden was designed by a self-taught horticulturist named Mary Mowbray-Clarke, who was charged to transform the former town landfill into a place of beauty for all to enjoy.  The layout and design of the park was to commemorate the early Dutch settlers in the formal Dutch tradition. Bricks made at the Haverstraw brickyards were used in the construction of the Tea House, gazebo and paths.