DEPARTMENT OF WEIGHTS AND MEASURES
OFFICE OF CONSUMER PROTECTION
Terry D. Grosselfinger, Director
- Update computer system to use advances in technology to assist consumers.
- Update local law regulating plumbing, heating, air conditioning, sheet metal and refrigeration contractors.
- Update local law regulating wreckers and towers in the County.
- Update local law regulating dealers of second hand precious metals and gems.
- Create new regulatory scheme for taxis, limos and vehicles for hire in the County.
- Liason with local auto dealers to educate consumers on best practices for the purchase and leasing of automobiles.
- Modified internal workflow to improve efficiency of office operations.
- Issued in excess of 380 violations of local laws and regulations.
- Filed 80 criminal prosecutions in coordination with the District Attorney's office.
- Collected $92,000 in fines and penalties.
- Updated electrical contractors law to afford greater protection for consumers.
- Enacted a local law to regulate providers of electrical inspections in the County.
- Worked with Rockland Independent Living Center to educate consumers and vendors on compliance with ADA requirements.
- Processed in excess of 500 consumer complaints to resolve consumer issues with local businesses.
- Maintained a high level of services despite fiscal constraints.