In order to register to vote, you must:
- Be a U.S. Citizen
- Be 18 years of age by the date of the general, primary or other election in which you want to vote. If you will be 18 years of age by the end of the current calendar year, you will be eligible to pre-register. Fill out the registration form and submit. You will be pre-registered as an inactive voter. On your 18th birthday, your registration will be activated. Please note: this is for registration purposes only. You must be 18 years of age on or before the day of the election in order to vote.
- Live at your present address at least 30 days before an election.
- Not be in jail or on parole for a felony conviction.
- Not claim the right to vote elsewhere.
- Register as a new voter prior to the election cut-off. New York State Law establishes a cut-off date twenty-five days prior to each election 5-210(3).
In order to vote in a primary election, you must:
- Meet the eligibility requirements outlined above.
- Be an enrolled member of the party. New York State Law outlines the requirements to change enrollment. If you change from one party to another or from No Party to a party, you must do so before the preceding General Election cut-off date. For example, to vote in the 2017 Primary, you must have changed your enrollment to either Democrat or Republican on or before October 14, 2016. See 5-304(3).
Voter Registration Forms:
Download and print the form you need below. Be sure to print all information neatly so it can be clearly understood.
Helpful Hint: Voter Registration Forms have 16 boxes, including a party choice and a signature and date line. Check to make sure you have completed 16 boxes!
With this Registration Form, you register to vote in elections in New York State.
You can also use this Form to:
- Change the name or address on your voter registration
- Become a member of a political party
- Change your party membership
Remember: If you are a new registrant, you must register at least 25 days prior to an election to be eligible to vote in that election.
These are the deadlines for the 2017 Elections:
State and Local Primary - August 18, 2017 (In person and by mail).
General Election -October 13, 2017 (In person and by mail).
Remember: If you ARE NOT a new registrant, all changes to party enrollment go into effect once a year. They must be filed 25 days prior to the General Election and will go into effect seven days after the General Election of that year.
For additional information, visit the New York State Board of Elections.